Research and Learning Agenda
The Research and Learning Agenda is led by African institutions and aims to provide evidence to fill knowledge gaps and promotes inclusive UHC dialogues in each ACS country. Research conducted by ACS will be informed by and speak to the specific needs identified in the countries we support, and draw on common themes of interest across countries to build and share knowledge across the continent.
The findings of the ACS Research and Learning Agenda will provide sub-Saharan Africa with transcontinental best practices on inclusive policy dialogue as well as policies and processes to improve accountability around financial decisions. Overall, governments across the region who are looking to improve internal accountability structures and increase stakeholder engagement will be able to use ACS Research and Learning best practices to learn from countries who have already begun the same initiatives.
ACS is focused on learning across the region and within country contexts. By using case studies in Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Namibia, and Togo, the questions below will be used to collect transcontinental best practices on innovative tools that aid the formation of processes and platforms on accountability and knowledge dialogue platforms. Regional findings will be shared to address specific country needs. Individual country findings will feed into regional best practices when applicable.
ACS R&L Agenda: Process & Progress
- Determine and validate stakeholder priorities who will be involved in implementing the agenda
- Develop a research and learning plan that helps answer questions using best practice tools and methods
- Implement research, analysis, evaluations, and other data-gathering activities based on the strongest and most appropriate qualitative and quantitative methods
- Involved stakeholders through in-person or virtual activities to co-develop knowledge products
- Disseminate findings through in-person or virtual activities
- Support country use of results in an iterative process adapted to that content
- Use results of each country’s experience to deepen understanding of a variety of country contexts
ACS Regional Research Questions
- Which policies and processes can countries use to improve accountability around financial decisions for UHC in sub-Saharan Africa?
- What is the level of inclusiveness of UHC policy dialogue platforms? To what extent are characteristics and environment of the UHC policy dialogues conducive (or not) to inclusivity? What are the underlying mechanisms that foster or hinder inclusivity? How can UHC policy dialogues adopt best practices to better achieve inclusivity?